Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Intro to book "Bits n Pieces of Me: Memoirs to retain identity in the face of growing dementia"

I am from Truthful Loving Kindness:
… from the snug haven of a home created with the anchor of G-d’s truth and the rose of parental love,
inside a greater world of uncertainty, pain, and illusion.

I am from the look in Dad’s eyes as he sang “Have I Told You Lately that I Love You” to my mother.
I am from the look in Mom’s eyes as she cared for him while he died.

I am from “The Chippewa Song”:
I am from a FATHER, exhausted after long hours of working two full-time jobs,
suspending me over his toe-tips while teaching me to dance the swing;
I am from the fun of riding behind Dad in the motorcycle and sidecar,
holding a warm, foil-wrapped baked potato in my lap.
I am from working evenings at Coach Service, fire-lit evenings with his harmonica,
impromptu poems composed at bedtime, … and morning coffee breaks.
I am from the shock of seeing him after cancer surgery, on a breathing machine with tubes coming out of his body;
… from the knowledge that he probably would not live until I reached the age of high school,
… and then from the joy of having him at my graduation ceremony.

I am from “Beautiful, Beautiful Brown Eyes”:
I am from a MOTHER in the housedress of unconditional love,
dancing me to sleep when my tummy hurt.
I am from the love that always had room in the house to care for one more … child,
or one more uncle, or one more great-grandmother.
I am from marshmallow roasts, sledding down the hill by the light of swinging lanterns,
helping with homework, … and quiet good-night prayers.
I am from the smell of homemade bread while warming myself between the old wood cook stove and metal cabinets,
… from the knowledge that she would always be there to share my problems, if I would only let her,
… and then from the joy of learning HOW to better share my life with her.

I am from lots of songs while washing dishes;
I am from whispered girlish secrets in the dark, and gales of giggling in the light,
… from the look in Mom’s eyes the first Sunday that there were only three children to dress for church,
-- instead of four.

I am from funeral songs:
I am from the look in Dad’s eyes when there were only two children,
-- instead of three, … and then …
… from conversations regarding the process of death, regarding the importance of family,
regarding G-d, and what it might be like to live in Heaven.

I am from wedding songs:
… from finding the truth of G-d’s love AND the rose of marital love,
both inside a greater world of uncertainty, pain, and illusion.
I am from the security I feel when I praise G-d, and the answers when I pray.
I am from the look in my husband’s eyes as he holds me up and dances with me in the living room.
I am from the smell of the ocean and the sound of the surf,
…while watching him build our house with his own two hands.

I am from songs sung to my children:
… the Chippewa song, bedtime songs, songs when working, and songs while hurting.
I am from songs to express joy in life and love.
I am from songs to keep my mind off pain.
I am from songs to keep perspective in G-d’s plan.

I am from facing pain, loss – and death -- with truth AND dignity.
I am from facing love, joy – and life -- with kindness AND honesty.

Truthful Loving Kindness
I hope I can pass it on to those around me. (2007-09/16)

3 comments:

  1. Thankful for coming upon this particular blog of song, today. Beautifully written. Straight from the soul. I know, for I, too, an a product of parental songs, rythm& harmony now giving the same along a long line of spirits, from blood to deep friendships to fleeting acknowlegments, never lost or forgotten or spent. Thank you Chippewa Song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankful for coming upon this particular blog of song, today. Beautifully written. Straight from the soul. I know, for I, too, an a product of parental songs, rythm& harmony now giving the same along a long line of spirits, from blood to deep friendships to fleeting acknowlegments, never lost or forgotten or spent. Thank you Chippewa Song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete